RoyalAlbert.com - Click Here!

Monday, August 11, 2014

How to Make a Recycled Pallet Vertical Garden

Yesterday in between snow flurries, sun, hail, snow, and more sun, I was able to use a few left over strawberry plants to create a wood pallet garden.  I first spotted this great idea at the Seattle Flower & Garden Show in February.
I asked the Handsome Husband if he could find me a couple of good clean pallets asap and he did.  He was able to bring home 2 pallets in great condition the very next day.

Here is how I made my wood pallet garden:
pallet 2

I started by wrapping the back and sides of the pallet with a double layer on landscape fabric.  Landscape fabric can be found this time of year at Costco or pretty much any home and garden store.  After cutting the landscape fabric, I then used an industrial stapler and stapled the fabric to the back and sides of the pallet {use a lot of staples}.
Here is what the back of the pallet looked like before I injected a ton of staples into the fabric.
potting soil
Next, I set the pallet fabric side down, and filled the openings with potting soil.
You’ll want to make sure you push the soil underneath the slats.
If you don’t, when it comes time to stand your pallet up, the soil will slide, and your plants will end up behind the slats.
Next add your plants.  I filled this one with strawberries, but I plan on filling my next pallet garden with an assortment of herbs.
pallet
Here is a picture of the pallet garden up close.  This strawberry garden is still in the ugly duckling stage, but in a few short months the strawberry plants will fill out and cover the exposed dirt.mavisHere is a picture of me with the inspiration for this project.
 I left my pallet on the ground for the time being.  I was afraid to stand it up at this point. I want the plants to have time to wrap their roots around the soil so the strawberry plants will be anchored in place.  In about a month when I stand the pallet upright, I will plant 6 more strawberry plants in the opening at the top of the pallet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wide Width Damask Jacquard Curtain  - Besthomefashion.com

View more gifts at Zazzle.

Blog Archive